fun things and natural things
brave actions and right actions
Recently, I’ve been roleplaying a rocket scientist. I’m not even kidding; this is an illegal hobby of mine. (Also, I’ve been playing with candles and the effects of diluting various chemicals e.g. toothpaste, cologne, water, etc. this video; a candle doesn’t need a wick to light, super interesting) shhhhhh! Don’t tell anyone I do this!
(here is the link to a video on my facebook of one of my rocket tests)
I bought some solid potassium nitrate in the form of garden stump remover (spectracide brand; the other brands don’t have potassium nitrate as active ingredient). Then I used granulated white sugar sucrose. (for better results, use pure sorbitol) I don’t have pure glucose, but I think that would work even better. Heated on the stove with catalyst iron (III) oxide, it creates very very effectual rocket fuel.
What does this have to do with creativity? October sky.
I am relatively obsessed with this stuff. I mean, I’ve been ordering the stuff online. And I’m creating nozzles out of 3dsmax (so I can 3d print). I learned how a nozzle works. And I learned the state laws on firing rockets. This has to do with creativity because when you’re interested in something, you’ll want to explore every facet of something. It’s pretty exciting. And to me creativity is all about being excited for something. I don’t know.
Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you’ll look back and realize they were the big things – Vonnegut
final quarter, I am skipping
1. Be somewhat certain you can get the 35 bonus before you fill up 4 of a kind unless you are totally winning and are just looking for a safe game.
2. The 35 bonus requires an average of 3x per ever single category. Aiming for 3x in each will fail. Aim for 4x on some 5s, and 6s and worry about the 1s, 2s, and 3s at the end. With this in mind, the 1s square is a pretty good box for busted draws as it is pretty much worthless.
3. The chance square should be used for busted large straight draws. Unless very high busted 3,4 of a kinds later in game can get you high chance scores.
4. Chase for 5 of a kind (Yahtzee) early in the game. Don’t be afraid to use it as a filler for busted draws as you run out of turns. On that note, this rule is the same but looser for 4 of a kind and full house. If you don’t score for 4 of a kind or full house, realistically, will probably lose.
5. Promising high initial rolls of 1s or 2s or other combinations of low numbers, unlike 6s, should be used to chase full house, 5 of a kinds (Yahtzee) or perhaps even straights. Busted full house, 5 of a kinds can be used to fill 1s and 2s, etc.
6. Though it might be tempting to re-roll everything if you get a bogus initial roll, consider keeping the highest number for high 3 or 4 of a kinds. On that note, don’t be afraid to re-roll everything if there is nothing, but always consider the board. For example, keep a 3 if you’re thinking about small straight possibilities, etc.
7. Though expected value is difficult to mentally calculate especially with three turns ahead, it is useful to be aware that it is unwise to go for 4 of a kind or 5 of a kind when you have a full house even if it is 3 sixes.
8. More expected value: If you roll a small straight with a double (2 5s or 2 6s), don’t reroll for the 35 bonus points. Get points for small straight.
9. Banking on rolling 3 of a kind for any specific number in mind is a bad idea as it is statistically infrequent. If you get a pair of 5s but you already have 5s, maybe good idea to go for 3 of a kind instead even if you are hard headed with the 35 bonus points.
Any other heuristics you use? share in comments! (:
//Wanted to write something for funsies. Whipped this up. Don’t take it too seriously. (:
If you have ever seen a chrysalis opening, you know that there’s a delicate click before a butterfly emerges.
If you have ever wanted anything to go right in your life, you’ve probably pursued ‘the click.’ Some use ‘a click’ to describe suddenly getting an idea like math or economic theory, but this is ‘the click.’
And to me, ‘ the click’ is of worshipable significance.
It’s a nonphysical entity that compels me to change into somebody anew, an idea, an inception, if you will, that attack the cells in my body that aren’t a part of this transformation. It’s like I was an ass-kicking autobot all along, undergoing this deceptive transformation, and all along, a chrysalis turning into a dope-ass Queen Alexandra’s birdwing, all along. It’s like, “Neo, you take the red pill –you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes,” but just then, I turn into an autobot and kick Morpheus in the face, and I take neither pill.
The click is giving myself control, finding new reality. This idea is crazier than turning into an autobot and kicking Morpheus in the face because this idea is the truth.
And truth is, most people can’t handle the truth. Truth is, everybody is somebody, smart, beautiful, agreeable, creative, entertaining, inspiring. But some don’t see it within to come out of the chrysalis. But to those that do, they are the autobots, those that change form and make a god damn difference.
And truth is, ‘the click’ is the first step to making this difference; in a world filled with blue and red pills, I suddenly realize that the inception is the inception, the matrix is the matrix, and the decepticons are the decepticons.
To click is to connect myself with reality, the best reality I can ever dream to become. ‘Click.’ And, truly, become a dope-ass Queen Alexandra’s birdwing.